TechNews: Springtime Roof Checkups
Spring is here, which means it’s time to check roofs for any damage caused by winter weather. Even in warmer climates, Versico strongly recommends regular spring roof maintenance, as damage can be caused by wind or foot traffic from maintenance personnel.
From ground level:
From ground level:
- Walk the perimeter of the building and check the gutters, downspouts, and upper areas of walls to make sure that they are not damaged or loose due to heavy ice.
- Above all, use proper protection equipment and extra caution.
- Check the gutters and downspouts again to ensure that ice build-up has not damaged the flashings or loosened the gutters. Carefully clean out any debris that may have accumulated.
- Check all drains to ensure they are functioning properly. If there is ice build-up in drains, do not aggressively break up the ice with any tools, as this could damage the roofing membrane. Check for missing or damaged strainers.
- Check the counter-flashings around walls and curbs, if any exist. Deep and drifting snow can affect the integrity of counter-flashings. Look for loose fasteners or terminations as well.
- Check the seam areas and flashings to see if ice or snow movement has caused damage to the seams.
- If there are rooftop gas lines sitting on wood blocks, check to see if snow or ice has caused any movement in the gas lines.
- Ask the building owner if they have attempted any remedial methods to mitigate or remove ice or snow. Review these areas for any unintended damages, such as holes in the membrane, particularly if maintenance personnel used shovels to remove snow and ice.
- Inspect around all rooftop mechanical equipment; look for damage or cuts around units.
- Check for any accumulated debris.
- Check for displaced ballast or raised fasteners, which might indicate wind damage.
April 27, 2023
TechNews: VacuSeal Systems FAQ
This post will discuss FAQs about Versico’s VacuSeal vent secured roofing systems and how they save you money and labor by substantially reducing the amount of glue, ballast, or fasteners your project needs.
March 23, 2023
TechNews: Welding Guidelines for TPO and PVC
In this post, we’ll discuss a few best practices that reduce the chances of cold welds and help ensure the watertight integrity of TPO, PVC, and KEE HP single-ply roof systems.
February 23, 2023
TechNews: Winter Safety Tips for Roofers
When working on the roof in cold weather, it is important that roofers protect themselves from winter hazards.